Given the ever changing nature of the internet, and just running a business, you need to choose a cart that can change as you need it to. Your cart needs to be scaleable.
A good shopping cart should have the following features.
1) Integrate easily with you merchant account credit card processor.
2) Allow graphical customization and have a relatively open source code for true special customization and upgrades
3) Be hosted on you site.
4) Have point and click and mass upload import - export features,
5) Up sell - cross sell features
6) Affiliate features,
7) Price group features.
8) Basket features such as add, remove, change products.
9) UPS, Fed ex, shipping integration at the least.
10) Sales Tax features as the law is rapidly changing and some states require sales tax on all internet sales regardless of business state and ship to state.
The number 1 shopping cart we recommend, as it comes with all the features above and more, is the Miva Merchant Shopping Cart. We recommend the Miva shopping cart because we use it ourselves and are 100% satisfied it. It's also highly scalable and continues to grow with our business. To learn more about the Miva Shopping Cart, please use this link. Miva.
If you have questions and would like to speak with an ecommerce consultant, please use this link. Ecommerce consultants.
Article Courtesy of 121merchantaccount.com